Yesterday I talked with couple of ISB alumnis situated overseas. It was insightful talk. During the conversation, I came to know that some of the students received sign-on bonus. Some even pursuaded the companies to pay the interest for the loans! Proof of Negotiation skills!!
Now, my doubt. Does ISB consider all these(sign-on, loan repayment etc.,), while calculating the average salary? Did any of the current students received any such fringe benefits?
Some key views:
1. Only 4 hours of classes are held per day (that too only 4 days per week). All the remaining time is loaded with assignments etc., A sleeping time of 7-8 hours per day is achievable if you prioritize accordingly. Some spend hours in chatting, parties, watching television etc., If you think you can sacrifice those things for one year in ISB, you can recharge your body through out the year. But there is a catch. Most of the assignments are group assignments. So we have to go by the group’s sleeping pattern. The Gold medalist of that batch went to bed at 11 and got up at 6 and she achieved what she wanted. The person who talked with me slept only 4-5 hours per day, and he decided to socialize and party much and interestingly he landed a lucrative job in Goldman Sachs that too with highest salary in his batch.
2. Library facility is nothing short of phenomenal. Name what and you will have resources, books for that topic. For example, a big section is allocated for just “Interview preparation”! Sad thing is we will not have time to utilize the amazing facility to full extent.
3. Don’t be too focussed about what role you want[job]. Have some broader plans and backup plans.
4. If it’s possible to get a sabbatical from company[join back after one year], get it. You will be able to negotiate the package with new companies, with confidence [that you have a confirmed offer in your hand].
5. Shared accomodation means shared bathroom facilities too ! No Attached bathrooms in bedroom[Just wanted to clarify it]
6. Don’t worry about Resumes and placements from day 1. Spend time in understanding the concepts and knowing your batchmates for the first 4 core terms. Start the preparation for placements from October.
7. In Class participation, there will be shy persons (like me , interestingly the alumni was also a shy person, though i can’t believe it), there will be tight persons (rigid in views and one who comments “Kyaa bakwaas bhaat kar rahe ho??” kind) and there will be dilute persons (one who just talks for the sake of talking). In the end each and every view is unique. After all that’s the view point right?? So feel free to express your opinion and don’t get offended by laughters and comments…You will learn to enjoy it once you understand it.
I can remember only the above points. And there were some personal talks based on profile etc., Planning to speak with couple of Alumni in the upcoming weekend. Will update more.